A few weeks ago, I wrote about a dream I had that Ebola was coming to the U. S. and that we could stop its spread through prayer.
Now that Ebola in the U. S. has become a reality, I would like to follow up with a few more thoughts about how to go about stopping this plague from spreading — through prayer. Here are some specific steps that all praying Christians can take:
- Know that, biblically, God has given us authority to receive answers to prayer. That is what prayer is for. I have for you two links to specific Scripture verses which promise that He will answer us: Our God Is a Listening God and The LORD Answers My Prayers (both at my website).
- Understand that we have biblical precedence to intercede for plagues to be stopped and to receive God’s intervention. Moses and Aaron did this in Numbers 16:42-50, when plague had entered the Israelite camp.
- Have faith, not fear. This is a time to watch over our words carefully, and to speak what is in alignment with the desires of God. For me personally, I understand from the Ebola dream I had that it is God’s will to stop this disease from spreading if His people will partner with Him by taking authority against it in prayer. So I will speak in oneness with the revelation I believe He has given to me, and not wring my hands in fear.
- Begin now to pray and fast — and stay at it. The sooner we get started, the sooner we may see an answer. Ideally, we want to see this nipped in the bud, but even if things would grow worse for a time, we should persist in prayer until we see results.
- Spread the word to other intercessors. The more people who pray, the more we can expect a speedy answer. Leviticus 26: 8 tells us, “And five of you shall chase a hundred, and a hundred of you shall put ten thousand to flight: and your enemies shall fall before you by the sword.”
- Encourage your prayer group to pray together on this issue. There is power in the prayer gathering. Jesus promised us, “If two of you shall agree on earth as touching anything that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of My Father Who is in heaven. For where two or three are gathered together in My name, there I am in the midst of them.”
- Pray for our government and health care leaders to take preventative steps to protect our nation from further inroads/spread of Ebola.
- Pray for a breakthrough in treatment for prevention and cure of this disease. Pray for divine inspiration/ideas for researchers.
- Pray for those who are already suffering so greatly in Africa. We can’t only be concerned for ourselves. Stand in supportive prayer with the intercessors in those afflicted nations, that they will see the waning of Ebola there.
- Pray Psalm 91 over your loved ones. This is a great idea at any time, but particularly when it comes to sickness. There are verses in this Psalm which particularly apply:
- V. 3 — Surely He will deliver you … from the noisome pestilence (noxious disease).
- Vs. 5-7 — You shall not be afraid for the … pestilence which walks in darkness …. A thousand shall fall at your side and ten thousand at your right hand, but it shall not come near you.
- V. 10 — There shall no evil befall you; neither shall any plague come near your dwelling.
- V. 16 — With long life will I satisfy you, and show you My salvation.
Let’s get the word out and encourage many to be praying. I believe we will see God’s intervention, if we will pray.